Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
~Galations 6:2

January 29, 2012 "Dear God, my heart is so heavy this morning," is the way I began each day this past week. I believe this is the result of my fervent prayer to see needs through God's eyes. This week has put that prayer to test as I have had the opportunity to carry the burdens of others. Some know that I am sharing their pain and some don't and that is okay. I want to take a moment to reflect.

Due to my code of ethics as a school counselor, I am not allowed or would I want to reveal an identity so I will be have to be vague, but just this week I listened to desparate parents cry out for help with their children, talked to students about their less than desirable living circumstances, prayed for yet another failing marriage, witnessed my husband administer CPR to an ederly man with heart problems and watched the painful expressions on faces at the funeral of Mr. Charles Murphy, our mayor who fell victim to a senseless act of violence earlier this week.

My heart has never been as heavy as it has been for my friends, the Murphy's this week.  As I was talking with my husband about our friends at lunch today, something occurred to me. It is not original, but was profound to me at that moment. Mr. Murphy's daughter-in-law, Ellen, has been so touched by the kind things people have said about him to the media and has commented that she wants him to be remembered by the kind things he did for people. So, the thought that God brought to my mind is this...What if we talked about  the good things people do while they are living and treat them as if they they have value? I believe Mr. Murphy did. A retired teacher described him as "unassuming". Other than being a woman after God's own heart, I can't think of a nicer thing I would like for people say about me when I die.

Today is March 7, and I don't really know why I haven't posted the above before now, except that  tomorrow I would want Mr. Murphy's family to know that I am praying for them and trying to help carry the burden as the trial begins for the young man that changed so many lives on that early morning in January. God says to turn our worries into prayers. I pray for them to turn to Him in this great time of need.








1 comment:

  1. Tamra, you do have a heart for people and it's so encouraging to watch God use you to love and lead others. You are an inspiration to me. Thanks for the reminder that we need to speak affirming words to others NOW, while we can. I struggle with this so much! Thanks for putting things into perspective here. Love you, Friend!

    ReplyDelete